Welcome to Saddleworth Museum’s Collections

As the custodian, caretaker and trustee of our collections we are dedicated to preserving and showcasing the items under our protection. With 16,000 (and growing) items in our collections it is not possible to showcase them all in the space we have. We always attempt to keep the “best” examples of the Saddleworth story on display. We also “refresh” displays, and create new themed ones, from time to time, and rotate collection items in the galleries as best we can.

The majority of the collections items that the visitor does not see on display will be in one of our storage areas, sometimes under environmental control where required, or undergoing careful preservation or accession processes or on one of our school programmes or on loan.

We will eventually have our database to view in one of our galleries for the visitor to access. The slideshows below are the “curator’s collection choices” for you to enjoy! 

Please remember that if you have something from Saddleworth’s past you would like to donate, just contact the curator!

Number of items in our collections

Saddleworth Museum is fully accredited (no 191). We have severel best practices, sometime stringent, guidelines and procedures to follow in the preservation and showcasing of the Saddleworth collections. Just one of the standards is that every collection item we have will have been accessioned, i.e. identified, recorded and numbered. This number is sometimes visible to the naked eye. The visitor to the museum, or this website may wonder what this number means.

NEW VERSION > Carol, Peter, is this better than the one below? Thanks, Charlie

/galleries/collections/4c 

 

Archaeology 1981.165.1 Roman Glass Unguent Perfume Bottle

An unguent is an ointment that is spread on the skin to soothe wounds, burns, and scratches. Accession No 1981.165.1

Archaeology 2007.6.3 Viking Gold Ring

Found in Chew Brook at Nutbottom, Greenfield in February 1914. The original ring is deposited in the British Museum as at the time Saddleworth had no museum. Accession No 2007.6.3

Archaeology to be advised Medieval Pot

Found in the Castleshaw Valley. The pot has been reconstructed from fragments.

Archaeology to be advised Model of the Castleshaw Roman Fortlet

A reconstruction of the Castleshaw Roman Fortlet, based on the archaeology, which was constructed in the Castleshaw Valley c. AD 79

Archives Collection archive record system Ammon Wrigley Archive

Ammon Wrigley – the archives contain an extensive collection of books original illustrations and manuscripts by Ammon Wrigley who was a writer, poet, and historian. There is also a collection of material relating to the Ammon Wrigley Fellowship. Archives Collection

Archives Collection archive record system Architects Drawing of Measurements Mill

Architects Drawing of Measurements Mill which was designed by local architect A. J. Howcroft and was one of the first mills with a structure of concrete and steel. It was a purpose-built factory to manufacture clocks by Hirst Bros. c1920. Archives Collection

Archives Collection archive record system Memorial Drawing

Inevitably after the turmoil and loss of life incurred during the 1st World War there was a great need to mark the loss of life in a memorial. Saddleworth was no exception to this and to give it its most prominent position the site for its erection was chosen as Pots and Pans. Local architect A. J. Howcroft was commissioned to design the memorial and this is one of his drawings offering different designs. This would have been a rather grand scheme with its steps and canons. Archives Collection

Archives Collection archive record system Old Photographs

Old Photographs – the museum archives hold an extensive collection of old photographs showing all aspects of life in Saddleworth. This view is one of the earliest depicting Woolroad Canal basin c1880. Archives Collection

Archives Collection archive record system Widows Penny

This is what was commonly called a Widows Penny. It was a memorial plaque which was offered to the next of kin of all British and Empire service personnel who were killed as a result of the war. A total of 1,355,000 were issued up to the 1930s as they were also issued to commemorate people who died because of the war. Archives Collection

Art 2001.73.1 ‘Saddleworth Church Rushcart Day’ by John Holland c1826

Painting ‘Saddleworth Church Rushcart Day’ by John Holland c1826 is just one of several local paintings in the museum collection. Accession No 2001.73.1

Art 2002.93 View of Delph by John McCombs

Paintings – the museum holds an extensive collection of paintings of local views – this view of Delph is one of a series illustrating Saddleworth Villages painted by local artist John McCombs. Accession No 2002.93.

Art 2009.65.1-12 One of a series of twelve flower paintings by Joan Charnley

One of a series of twelve flower paintings representing the plants which appear throughout a year in the Saddleworth landscape. These were painted by Joan Charnley who was a botanical illustrator and designer. Her work can still be seen at the Weavers Factory Gallery. Accession No 2009.65.1-12

Art 2010.41.1 ‘Greenfield from Wharmton’ c 1825

Painting – ‘Greenfield from Wharmton’ c1825 – with Chew Valley Road in the foreground ending at what then was Road End a title which it retained – the small building marks the tollbar house which is still standing whilst further along the road the buildings at Road End including the King William IV pub which is still standing. Accession No 2010.41.1

Building and Architecture 1986.20.1a Fragment of Stained Glass

A fragment of stained glass that was in the private chapel of George Shaw at St Chads in Uppermill which is now the library. Accession No 1986.20.1a

Building and Architecture 1986.21.1 Leaded Glass Lights

Leaded glass lights from Fur Lane, Greenfield made from small glass panes with lead strip which was soldered at the joints. Accession No 1986.21.1

Building and Architecture 2001.38.1 Casket – Janes Little Bird

‘Stay Selfish Man, and drop a tear, Janes little bird, Lies Buried Here – this was originally in the garden of St Chads (now the library) originally the home of George Shaw who created the casket. Accession No 2001.38.1

Costume to be advised Costume - bag

Costume – The museum has a varied collection of costume accessories from undergarments, shoes, handbags to hatpins etc.

Costume to be advised Costume – dress

Costume – The museum has a wonderful collection of costume from the Victorians to the present day.

Local Geology

The museum has a collection of geological specimens representing our local geology as well as many examples of minerals from around the world.

Local Culture 1981.224.1 Model Rushcart

Model Rushcart – the origins of rush bearing, and rush carts go back to the early churches which had a soil floor and annually fresh rushes would be laid. The origin of the annual Wakes holidays can be traced back to the annual custom of rush bearing. Accession No 1981.224.1

Local Culture 1999.36.1 Flugal Horn

Flugal horn made by Hawkes & Son of London and used by Boarshurst Band in Greenfield around 1900. Accession No 1999.36.1

Local Manufacturing 2012.50.1 Mantelpiece Clock

Mantelpiece Clock made at Measurements Mill, Delph by Hirst Bros c1925. Accession No 2012.50.1

Local Maps 2010.8.1 Contour Map

Contour map showing the reservoirs owned by Oldham Corporation most of which were built to provide for the expanding town during the nineteenth century. Accession No 2010.8.1

Machinery 198.719.1 Clocking in Machine

With the transition from domestic industry were people worked according to the seasons the coming of industrialisation brought the need to tie workers down to ‘mill hours’ and hence all mills had some form of recording a workers hours like this clocking in machine. Accession No 198.719.1

Palaeontology 1981.772.12 Bison Bones

Bison bones which were found on the Saddleworth Moors and date from the ice age c10, 000bc Accession No 1981.772.12

Peoples History 1991.12.6 Gold Medal

Gold medal awarded in 1894 at the Belfast Industrial exhibition to Hutchinson & Hollingworth & Co Ltd, Dobcross for their excellence in their new patent fast loom. Accession No1991.12.6

Peoples History 2006.83.1 Saddleworth’s Peterloo Banner (replica)

Peterloo Banner – this is a replica of the banner carried to Peterloo Fields in Manchester for what was a peaceful demonstration which turned into the tragic event of the ‘Peterloo Massacre’ on August 16th, 1819. Accession No 2006.83.1

Peoples History to be advised Uppermill Co-operative Sign

Most of Saddleworth’s villages had a co-operative society serving their needs and Uppermill was no exception to this. This Uppermill Co-operative sign would have been a familiarity as it was located on the outside of the co-operative offices on Court Street – next to what is now the pet shop. There would have been the opportunity for people to go up the stairs to the office to collect there ‘Divi’ gained with the purchase of goods

Pottery 1981.173.1 Hark to Nudger

Hark to Nudger commemorative jug celebrating a famous trail hound – ‘Hark to NUDGER’ see how he goes. The trail before him and that he knows’. Accession No 1981.173.1

Pottery 1981.323.2 Pottery for a Military Hospital

A piece of pottery that was sold to raise money for a Military Hospital that was in Ashway Gap House in Greenfield during the 1st World War. Accession No 1981.323.2

Pottery 2004.46.1 Commemorative Piece of Pottery

A commemorative piece of pottery marking the 50th anniversary of the horrific unsolved murders that took place at the Moorcock Inn, Greenfield on 2cnd April 1932. Accession No 2000.46.1

Pottery 2017.9.1 Ovaltine Jug

Ovaltine Jug – with portrait of ‘Gloria’ christened as May Kenworthy of Saddleworth she was one of the first supermodels working for Selfridges, she had a car named after her and was the face on the Ovaltine Tin. Accession No 2017.9.1

Pottery to be advised Peterloo Commemorative Mug

Peterloo Commemorative Mug – this is a mug marking the tragic event of the ‘Peterloo Massacre’ which occurred on 16th August 1819.

Textile Industry 1981.452.1 A Lant Jar

A Lant jar, these were used to store lant, which was urine, whether human or animal which provided a cheap source of ammonia which was used to degrease the raw wool before processing. Accession No 1981.452.1

Textile Industry 1981.455.2 Handloom

Handloom – typical of numerous ones used in Saddleworth between c1820-1860 – this one was last used at Slackcote Mill, Delph. Accession No 1981.455.2

Textile Industry 1981.718.1 Dobcross Loom Apprentice’s Model

Dobcross Loom apprentice’s model made at the Loom works of Hutchinson & Hollingworth c 1900. Accession No 1981.718.1

Textile Industry to be advised Dobcross Loom

Dobcross Loom – manufactured by Hutchinson & Hollingworth at Dobcross Loom works. These were exported all round the world

Transport 1981.181.3 Penny Farthing Bicycle

Penny farthing bicycle dating from around the 1870-80s. The bicycle acquired its name from the fact that the huge wheel was like a penny coin next to the smaller wheel or farthing coin. Accession No 1981.181.3

Transport 1981.700.1 Tollbar Sign

Tollbar sign giving charges on Delph to Dobcross branch of the Oldham to Ripponden Turnpike Road c1839. Accession No 1981.700.1

Transport 1981.701.1 Boneshaker Bike

Boneshaker bike was a popular novelty bike from around 1865-70. The bike did not have any brakes. The frame was made of metal, but the wheels were made from wood. Accession No 1981.701.1

Transport 1998.58.1 Delph Stationmasters Hat

Delph Stationmasters Hat worn at stationmaster at Delph Station which was the terminus of the Greenfield to Delph Branch Railway opening in 1851 later extended Greenfield to Oldham in 1856 and the whole line took on the nickname of the ‘Delph Donkey’. The route closed throughout in May 1955. Accession No 1998.58.

Transport 1999.60.1 Large ‘Tilley’ Lamp

Large ‘Tilley Lamp’ used in Standedge Canal Tunnel to provide light for barges passing through which were powered by ‘legging’ with two men lying on a plank across the barge and walking against the sides of the tunnel. Accession No 1999.60.1

Transport 2014.23.1 Model of a Volkswagen Beetle Car

Model of a Volkswagen Beetle car which were made in Germany. The factory was brought back into production by Ivan Hirst from Saddleworth who got the factory operating again at the end of the 2nd World War. Accession No 2014.23.1

War and Conflict 1981.621.1 Trench Art – pin cushion

During the 1st World War Trench soldiers in the trenches would occupy what little spare time they had with creating various decorative items from whatever was available this became known as trench art and this is a good example being a pin cushion. Accession No 1981.621.1

War and Conflict 1986.82.1 Pastures War Memorial

Pastures War Memorial – this was originally located in the Pastures Methodist Church in Springhead. It was a memorial to those soldiers previously scholars of the school who had lost their lives in the Great War of 1914-1919 and also served as a memorial of thanksgiving for ‘…..those who by the grace of God safely returned’. Accession No 1986.82.1

War and Conflict 1987.30.1 Uniform badge

Uniform badge as worn by the local volunteers of the 34th West Yorkshire Rifles c1880s. Accession No 1987.30.1

War and Conflict 1996.8.1 Greenfield Bomb

Greenfield Bomb – this commemorative piece was made from an unexploded bomb that landed on Greenfield Cricket Ground on 16th February 1941 during World War 2. Accession No 1996.8.1

War and Conflict 2006.28.1a-b Trench Art - vases

Trench art – flower vases made from shell cases by a soldier during the 1st World War. This sort of decorative piece became known as trench art. Accession No 2006.28.1a-b

War and Conflict 2007.33.1 Plaque Commemorating Saddleworth’s adoption of a ship during WW2

Plaque presented 28/03/1942 to Saddleworth Urban District Council commemorating Saddleworth’s adoption of a ship during WW2. H.M.S. Pegasus was adopted as part of a fundraising scheme during War Weapons Week in 1942. The scheme in two years between January 1940 and January 1942 raised £552,063. Accession No 2007.33.1

War and Conflict 2007.33.1 Plaque Commemorating Saddleworth’s adoption of a ship during WW2

A helmet as worn by soldiers of the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment which covered the Yorkshire area of the west riding and would have been the regular regiment which those entering the army from Saddleworth would have joined. Accession No 2009.48.1

/galleries/collections/4c 

 

Archaeology 1981.165.1 Roman Glass Unguent Perfume Bottle

An unguent is an ointment that is spread on the skin to soothe wounds, burns, and scratches. Accession No 1981.165.1

Archaeology 2007.6.3 Viking Gold Ring

Found in Chew Brook at Nutbottom, Greenfield in February 1914. The original ring is deposited in the British Museum as at the time Saddleworth had no museum. Accession No 2007.6.3

Archaeology to be advised Medieval Pot

Found in the Castleshaw Valley. The pot has been reconstructed from fragments.

Archaeology to be advised Model of the Castleshaw Roman Fortlet

A reconstruction of the Castleshaw Roman Fortlet, based on the archaeology, which was constructed in the Castleshaw Valley c. AD 79

Archives Collection archive record system Ammon Wrigley Archive

Ammon Wrigley – the archives contain an extensive collection of books original illustrations and manuscripts by Ammon Wrigley who was a writer, poet, and historian. There is also a collection of material relating to the Ammon Wrigley Fellowship. Archives Collection

Archives Collection archive record system Architects Drawing of Measurements Mill

Architects Drawing of Measurements Mill which was designed by local architect A. J. Howcroft and was one of the first mills with a structure of concrete and steel. It was a purpose-built factory to manufacture clocks by Hirst Bros. c1920. Archives Collection

Archives Collection archive record system Memorial Drawing

Inevitably after the turmoil and loss of life incurred during the 1st World War there was a great need to mark the loss of life in a memorial. Saddleworth was no exception to this and to give it its most prominent position the site for its erection was chosen as Pots and Pans. Local architect A. J. Howcroft was commissioned to design the memorial and this is one of his drawings offering different designs. This would have been a rather grand scheme with its steps and canons. Archives Collection

Archives Collection archive record system Old Photographs

Old Photographs – the museum archives hold an extensive collection of old photographs showing all aspects of life in Saddleworth. This view is one of the earliest depicting Woolroad Canal basin c1880. Archives Collection

Archives Collection archive record system Widows Penny

This is what was commonly called a Widows Penny. It was a memorial plaque which was offered to the next of kin of all British and Empire service personnel who were killed as a result of the war. A total of 1,355,000 were issued up to the 1930s as they were also issued to commemorate people who died because of the war. Archives Collection

Art 2001.73.1 ‘Saddleworth Church Rushcart Day’ by John Holland c1826

Painting ‘Saddleworth Church Rushcart Day’ by John Holland c1826 is just one of several local paintings in the museum collection. Accession No 2001.73.1

Art 2002.93 View of Delph by John McCombs

Paintings – the museum holds an extensive collection of paintings of local views – this view of Delph is one of a series illustrating Saddleworth Villages painted by local artist John McCombs. Accession No 2002.93.

Art 2009.65.1-12 One of a series of twelve flower paintings by Joan Charnley

One of a series of twelve flower paintings representing the plants which appear throughout a year in the Saddleworth landscape. These were painted by Joan Charnley who was a botanical illustrator and designer. Her work can still be seen at the Weavers Factory Gallery. Accession No 2009.65.1-12

Art 2010.41.1 ‘Greenfield from Wharmton’ c 1825

Painting – ‘Greenfield from Wharmton’ c1825 – with Chew Valley Road in the foreground ending at what then was Road End a title which it retained – the small building marks the tollbar house which is still standing whilst further along the road the buildings at Road End including the King William IV pub which is still standing. Accession No 2010.41.1

Building and Architecture 1986.20.1a Fragment of Stained Glass

A fragment of stained glass that was in the private chapel of George Shaw at St Chads in Uppermill which is now the library. Accession No 1986.20.1a

Building and Architecture 1986.21.1 Leaded Glass Lights

Leaded glass lights from Fur Lane, Greenfield made from small glass panes with lead strip which was soldered at the joints. Accession No 1986.21.1

Building and Architecture 2001.38.1 Casket – Janes Little Bird

‘Stay Selfish Man, and drop a tear, Janes little bird, Lies Buried Here – this was originally in the garden of St Chads (now the library) originally the home of George Shaw who created the casket. Accession No 2001.38.1

Costume to be advised Costume - bag

Costume – The museum has a varied collection of costume accessories from undergarments, shoes, handbags to hatpins etc.

Costume to be advised Costume – dress

Costume – The museum has a wonderful collection of costume from the Victorians to the present day.

Local Geology

The museum has a collection of geological specimens representing our local geology as well as many examples of minerals from around the world.

Local Culture 1981.224.1 Model Rushcart

Model Rushcart – the origins of rush bearing, and rush carts go back to the early churches which had a soil floor and annually fresh rushes would be laid. The origin of the annual Wakes holidays can be traced back to the annual custom of rush bearing. Accession No 1981.224.1

Local Culture 1999.36.1 Flugal Horn

Flugal horn made by Hawkes & Son of London and used by Boarshurst Band in Greenfield around 1900. Accession No 1999.36.1

Local Manufacturing 2012.50.1 Mantelpiece Clock

Mantelpiece Clock made at Measurements Mill, Delph by Hirst Bros c1925. Accession No 2012.50.1

Local Maps 2010.8.1 Contour Map

Contour map showing the reservoirs owned by Oldham Corporation most of which were built to provide for the expanding town during the nineteenth century. Accession No 2010.8.1

Machinery 198.719.1 Clocking in Machine

With the transition from domestic industry were people worked according to the seasons the coming of industrialisation brought the need to tie workers down to ‘mill hours’ and hence all mills had some form of recording a workers hours like this clocking in machine. Accession No 198.719.1

Palaeontology 1981.772.12 Bison Bones

Bison bones which were found on the Saddleworth Moors and date from the ice age c10, 000bc Accession No 1981.772.12

Peoples History 1991.12.6 Gold Medal

Gold medal awarded in 1894 at the Belfast Industrial exhibition to Hutchinson & Hollingworth & Co Ltd, Dobcross for their excellence in their new patent fast loom. Accession No1991.12.6

Peoples History 2006.83.1 Saddleworth’s Peterloo Banner (replica)

Peterloo Banner – this is a replica of the banner carried to Peterloo Fields in Manchester for what was a peaceful demonstration which turned into the tragic event of the ‘Peterloo Massacre’ on August 16th, 1819. Accession No 2006.83.1

Peoples History to be advised Uppermill Co-operative Sign

Most of Saddleworth’s villages had a co-operative society serving their needs and Uppermill was no exception to this. This Uppermill Co-operative sign would have been a familiarity as it was located on the outside of the co-operative offices on Court Street – next to what is now the pet shop. There would have been the opportunity for people to go up the stairs to the office to collect there ‘Divi’ gained with the purchase of goods

Pottery 1981.173.1 Hark to Nudger

Hark to Nudger commemorative jug celebrating a famous trail hound – ‘Hark to NUDGER’ see how he goes. The trail before him and that he knows’. Accession No 1981.173.1

Pottery 1981.323.2 Pottery for a Military Hospital

A piece of pottery that was sold to raise money for a Military Hospital that was in Ashway Gap House in Greenfield during the 1st World War. Accession No 1981.323.2

Pottery 2004.46.1 Commemorative Piece of Pottery

A commemorative piece of pottery marking the 50th anniversary of the horrific unsolved murders that took place at the Moorcock Inn, Greenfield on 2cnd April 1932. Accession No 2000.46.1

Pottery 2017.9.1 Ovaltine Jug

Ovaltine Jug – with portrait of ‘Gloria’ christened as May Kenworthy of Saddleworth she was one of the first supermodels working for Selfridges, she had a car named after her and was the face on the Ovaltine Tin. Accession No 2017.9.1

Pottery to be advised Peterloo Commemorative Mug

Peterloo Commemorative Mug – this is a mug marking the tragic event of the ‘Peterloo Massacre’ which occurred on 16th August 1819.

Textile Industry 1981.452.1 A Lant Jar

A Lant jar, these were used to store lant, which was urine, whether human or animal which provided a cheap source of ammonia which was used to degrease the raw wool before processing. Accession No 1981.452.1

Textile Industry 1981.455.2 Handloom

Handloom – typical of numerous ones used in Saddleworth between c1820-1860 – this one was last used at Slackcote Mill, Delph. Accession No 1981.455.2

Textile Industry 1981.718.1 Dobcross Loom Apprentice’s Model

Dobcross Loom apprentice’s model made at the Loom works of Hutchinson & Hollingworth c 1900. Accession No 1981.718.1

Textile Industry to be advised Dobcross Loom

Dobcross Loom – manufactured by Hutchinson & Hollingworth at Dobcross Loom works. These were exported all round the world

Transport 1981.181.3 Penny Farthing Bicycle

Penny farthing bicycle dating from around the 1870-80s. The bicycle acquired its name from the fact that the huge wheel was like a penny coin next to the smaller wheel or farthing coin. Accession No 1981.181.3

Transport 1981.700.1 Tollbar Sign

Tollbar sign giving charges on Delph to Dobcross branch of the Oldham to Ripponden Turnpike Road c1839. Accession No 1981.700.1

Transport 1981.701.1 Boneshaker Bike

Boneshaker bike was a popular novelty bike from around 1865-70. The bike did not have any brakes. The frame was made of metal, but the wheels were made from wood. Accession No 1981.701.1

Transport 1998.58.1 Delph Stationmasters Hat

Delph Stationmasters Hat worn at stationmaster at Delph Station which was the terminus of the Greenfield to Delph Branch Railway opening in 1851 later extended Greenfield to Oldham in 1856 and the whole line took on the nickname of the ‘Delph Donkey’. The route closed throughout in May 1955. Accession No 1998.58.

Transport 1999.60.1 Large ‘Tilley’ Lamp

Large ‘Tilley Lamp’ used in Standedge Canal Tunnel to provide light for barges passing through which were powered by ‘legging’ with two men lying on a plank across the barge and walking against the sides of the tunnel. Accession No 1999.60.1

Transport 2014.23.1 Model of a Volkswagen Beetle Car

Model of a Volkswagen Beetle car which were made in Germany. The factory was brought back into production by Ivan Hirst from Saddleworth who got the factory operating again at the end of the 2nd World War. Accession No 2014.23.1

War and Conflict 1981.621.1 Trench Art – pin cushion

During the 1st World War Trench soldiers in the trenches would occupy what little spare time they had with creating various decorative items from whatever was available this became known as trench art and this is a good example being a pin cushion. Accession No 1981.621.1

War and Conflict 1986.82.1 Pastures War Memorial

Pastures War Memorial – this was originally located in the Pastures Methodist Church in Springhead. It was a memorial to those soldiers previously scholars of the school who had lost their lives in the Great War of 1914-1919 and also served as a memorial of thanksgiving for ‘…..those who by the grace of God safely returned’. Accession No 1986.82.1

War and Conflict 1987.30.1 Uniform badge

Uniform badge as worn by the local volunteers of the 34th West Yorkshire Rifles c1880s. Accession No 1987.30.1

War and Conflict 1996.8.1 Greenfield Bomb

Greenfield Bomb – this commemorative piece was made from an unexploded bomb that landed on Greenfield Cricket Ground on 16th February 1941 during World War 2. Accession No 1996.8.1

War and Conflict 2006.28.1a-b Trench Art - vases

Trench art – flower vases made from shell cases by a soldier during the 1st World War. This sort of decorative piece became known as trench art. Accession No 2006.28.1a-b

War and Conflict 2007.33.1 Plaque Commemorating Saddleworth’s adoption of a ship during WW2

Plaque presented 28/03/1942 to Saddleworth Urban District Council commemorating Saddleworth’s adoption of a ship during WW2. H.M.S. Pegasus was adopted as part of a fundraising scheme during War Weapons Week in 1942. The scheme in two years between January 1940 and January 1942 raised £552,063. Accession No 2007.33.1

War and Conflict 2007.33.1 Plaque Commemorating Saddleworth’s adoption of a ship during WW2

A helmet as worn by soldiers of the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment which covered the Yorkshire area of the west riding and would have been the regular regiment which those entering the army from Saddleworth would have joined. Accession No 2009.48.1